Monday, February 22, 2010

(faith) NO MORE FESTIVALS


Yesterday was Soundwave festival here in Sydney. Bunch of mostly 90s bands - nostalgia fest - at a race track way out west. It was about 35 degrees and being on a barren field there was no shade. My reason for going to this monstrosity was Faith No More. Nostalgia.

Weakerthans were a highlight of the smaller stages.

Anthrax were playing, hadn't seen them since the Among the Living reunion tour. And they actually blew me away. Wasn't even going to watch them but thought I may as well (nostalgia) and found myself headbanging, shouting and - crikey - even welling up. And they covered Refused!!!

Jimmy Eat World were great too. Must get more of their stuff. Such nice guys too. Counterbalanced by a pointless Jane's Addiction. Going through the motions anyone? Speaking of which, Faith No More. Surely I knew that? Mike Patton is obviously only doing this reunion for the cash. And they were fine and everything. But what was the point? I left half way through. Walked out the grounds to Epic. Quite fitting.

So I think the bands I enjoyed were the most sincere ones. People will cry out about Anthrax but I must assert this. Those guys still love music and clearly have a great time playing. They are a crowd pleasing band with no further aspirations of grandeur. They have reclaimed a fan.

Such bizarre things these festivals. My water was confiscated on a day when I obviously would need plenty of it. So the answer was to spend $3-5 on each bottle of water. And then of course the $9 pizza slices and who would leave without a necessary ice-cream or two? Definitely remember why I don't go to these events.